Menu  Shorepine Village

Pacific City History

Centuries ago, there was a large Indian village at the mouth of the Big Nestucca River as evidenced by the numerous Indian mounds and artifacts found in that area. Chief Kiwanda was their most famous leader, hence the name Cape Kiwanda.

In the late 1800's the Indian population had moved to the South and the land around what is now Pacific City was open for development. Early settlers farmed and fished for a living and later a saw mill was built.

A toll road was built around 1880 which allowed visitors from the Willamette Valley to vacation in the area around Pacific City, which was then called Ocean Park.

The demand of increased travelers brought a campgrond and general store and in 1895 the first hotel was built. Soon an recreation hall and a dock appeared and a passenger ferry delivered visitors across the river to the beach. Several bridges were eventually built to replace the ferry.

In 1909 the town name was formerly changed to Pacific City and the first US Post Office was built. In 1910 the first school was built and attended by 12 students that year.

By 1910 Pacific City had become a most popular resort with many celebrations including a 4th of July parade. Summer homes were built in the area and population swelled during the season. Pacific City's first weekly newspaper, "The Pacific City Lookout" began in 1910 and expounded on the pleasures of resort living.

For more information, please go to Pacific City History


Copyright  |   Privacy Policy  |   Disclaimer  |   Contact